Gourmet Harvest International Recipe Of The Month – Summertime Cherry Pie
Cherry pie is a delicious anytime however in the summertime it is especially good because there is an abundance of fresh cherries available. Of, course you can still used packaged if that works best for you but there is hardly anything better than using fresh fruit when it is available. In 1999 this pie was the American Pie Council’s National Pie Championship first-place winner in the Fruit and Berry Category by Beth Campbell.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening, chilled
½ cup cold water
1 pinch salt
1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups pitted sour cherries
1 ¼ cups white sugar
10 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1. Cut the shortening into the flour and salt with the whisking blades of a stand mixer until the crumbs are pea-sized. Mix in cold water by hand just until the dough holds together. Divide the dough in half and form it into two disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled through, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Roll out one disk of dough into a 11-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry. Refrigerate until needed. Roll out the dough for the top crust, transfer it to a plate or baking sheet, and refrigerate.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place a baking tray in the oven to preheat.
4. Place the cherries, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium-sized non-aluminum saucepan. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes, or until the sugar draws out the cherries’ juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat; simmer for 1 minute, or until the juices thicken and become translucent. Remove pan from heat, and stir in butter and almond extract. Allow the filling to cool to lukewarm. Pour the filling into the pie shell. Cover with top crust, crimp the edges to seal, and cut vents for steam.
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven on the baking tray for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for several hours before slicing.
For an extraordinary treat put a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm pie slice before you serve it and lightly sprinkle some cinnamon on the ice cream. You will love it.
This Delicious Cherry Pie Recipe is from our friends at allreceipes. Their magazine and website is full of all kinds of wonderful dishes for you to make at home. You will love it.
Check back with us for more Recipes and Quick Tips For Baking each month.
in addition, we will have interesting articles, baking tips, recipes and much much more. If you have a favorite baking recipe that you think others would enjoy and you are willing to share it, send it to us through our Contact Us form.
We will let you know if we decide to include it in one of our blogs. That way you can tell all your friends and they can see your name and recipe featured. Any story about the recipe and where it originally came from would be great. We love those stories, after all that is how we got started.
Copyright © and by Design by Richard Tyler International Technologies